Getting to Kansas City
Kansas City is a major transportation hub for the Midwest, so you can get here from anywhere, using any kind of transportation you want (OK, no jet packs or flying cars in 2016, but there are still many different ways to get here).
Typical non-stop flight times from various cities – Graphic courtesy of Visit KC
Traveling from a Foreign Country to the United States
Worldcons always have fans from many countries. For complete information on the requirements for traveling to the United States, visit the State Department site.
Taking a Plane
The Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is about 19 miles north of Kansas City. Many airlines serve this airport, including United, American, Delta, Alaska Airlines and Air Canada. At least 43 different cities have non-stop flights to KC.
Approximate International Flight Times to KC
- London 12 hours
- Tokyo 14 hours
- Helsinki 15 hours 20 minutes
- Sydney 18 hours 30 minutes
Traveling from the Airport to Downtown
Fans are always looking for value. The Metro bus, Route 129, goes directly from the airport to 11th Street, about a block away from the Marriott for $1.50 – schedule – map. Please check the schedule as the bus only runs once an hour (usually around 20 after but this varies). It takes a little more than an hour to take the bus from the airport to downtown. You can also buy day and multi-day passes on the Metro.
A number of limo services run between the airport and downtown. Often, if you can get a group of three people to reserve a limo, it can be cheaper than a cab or van services.
Taxi service to downtown is available. Courtesy phones for taxi service are located at each bag claim area and other locations. You can call 816-243-2345. The fare rate from the airport to downtown runs between $50 and $60 depending on traffic. Uber rates from the airport can vary dramatically from $25 to $80 depending on the time of day and the type of car. Note that Lyft ceased operation in Kansas City in 2015.
Rental cars are also available at the airport.
Taking the Train
Amtrak goes to Kansas City. The train station is only 1.3 miles from the Convention Center area. Kansas City’s streetcar will take you straight up Main Street and will leave you within two short blocks of any of the hotels for free (the blue line on Main Street on the map below). If you’re staying at the Westin or Sheraton, they’re both across the street from the train station so you don’t need to take the streetcar.
If you’re traveling to MidAmeriCon II from Chicago consider traveling with Traincon 3 – start your Worldcon party early!
Taking a Bus
Greyhound goes to Kansas City. The bus station is just about a mile away from the Convention Center area at 1101 Troost St.
Note that MegaBus ceased operation to Kansas City in 2015.
Driving a Car
Google Maps is your friend. If you are driving to any of our facilities, here are their addresses and phone numbers:
- Kansas City Convention Center, 301 W 13th St, Kansas City, MO 64105, (816) 513-5000
- Kansas City Marriott Downtown, 200 W 12th St, Kansas City, MO 64105, (816) 421-6800
- Hotel Phillips Kansas City, 106 W 12th St, Kansas City, MO 64105, (816) 221-7000
- Holiday Inn Kansas City Downtown – Aladdin, 1215 Wyandotte St, Kansas City, MO 64105, (816) 421-8888
- Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown, 1301 Wyandotte St, Kansas City, MO 64105, (816) 474-6664
- Hilton President, 1329 Baltimore Ave., Kansas City, MO 64105, (816)-221-9490
- Kansas City Courtyard and Residence Inn, 1535 Baltimore Ave., Kansas City MO 64108, 816-221-7400
- Westin Kansas City at Crown Center, 1 East Pershing Rd., Kansas City, MO 64108, (816) 474-4400
- Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, 2345 McGee St., Kansas City, MO (816) 841-1000
Roughly, here’s how long it would take you to drive to Kansas City from any of these cities:
- Omaha, NE 3 hours
- Des Moines, IA 3 hours
- St. Louis, MO 3 hours 45 minutes
- Oklahoma City, OK 5 hours
- Sioux Falls, SD 5 hours 30 minutes
- Little Rock, AR 6 hours 30 minutes
- Minneapolis, MN 6 hours 30 minutes
- Indianapolis 7 hours 15 minutes
- Chicago 8 hours
- Dallas 8 hours
- Nashville 8 hours 15 min
- Denver 8 hours 30 minutes
- Milwaukee 8 hours 30 minutes
- Cheyenne 9 hours 30 minutes
Parking in Downtown
- Kansas City Auditorium Plaza Garage (Barney Allis Garage), Rate: first 15 minutes free, then 1 USD each 15 minutes, to a maximum of 12 USD per day.
- Kansas City Marriott Downtown, Rates: On-site: 3 USD hourly, 18 USD daily. Valet parking: 24 USD daily Onsite parking garage height clearance 6 feet. Offsite garage 8 feet 9 inches. Oversized valet is 30 USD per night.
- Hotel Phillips Kansas City, Rate: Valet 24 USD per night unlimited in/out.
- Holiday Inn Kansas City Downtown – Aladdin, Rate: Valet 18 USD per night.
- Crowne Plaza Kansas City Downtown, Rate: Valet 20 USD per night.
- Hilton President Kansas City, Rate: Valet 24 USD, self 20 USD per night.
- Courtyard and Residence Inn Kansas City, Rate: Valet/self 24 USD per night.
- Westin Kansas City at Crown Center, Rate: Valet 24 USD per night, self 17 USD per night
- Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, Rate: Self/valet parking $17-24/night
More parking options in downtown Kansas City, MO.